Refugee Integration Yorkshire and Humber
Our ambition is to roll-out a whole-society approach to integration across Yorkshire and Humber and to support new refugees, communities and public services to work with and benefit from each other.
Refugees have a key role, informing all aspects of this work. They will be involved as researchers and as members of a regional refugee integration forum and a workplace mentoring programme.
What are we doing?
- A regional plan for refugee integration shaped by refugees, communities and key organisations and overseen by the new regional refugee integration forum.
- The Refugee Integration Service offers individual support for new refugees in Barnsley, Bradford, Calderdale, Doncaster, Hull, Kirklees, Leeds, North East Lincolnshire, Rotherham, Sheffield, and Wakefield. The programme is helping new refugees learn how to access services and integrate with their communities.
- Unique research into refugee integration, involving refugees, key organisations, employers and the public. Discover some early research findings here:
- Integration works: the role of organisations in refugee integration in Yorkshire and the Humber
- Living the weathers and other stories Experiences of people who were forced to leave their homes and now live in Yorkshire and Humber: where they feel emotionally at ease and what makes them feel that way; what the weather has got to do with it all; and how the label ‘refugee’ shapes their daily life and future possibilities.
- The creation of new opportunities and a wealth of resources for organisations, employers, local communities and refugees, including: training on working with refugees, open to employers and public services staff; mentoring; toolkits and guides, multilingual resources and the Migrant Information Hub
Migration Yorkshire is the lead partner. Our partners are:
Partners providing the Refugee Integration Service in local areas
- Barnsley Metropolitan Borough Council
- Bradford Metropolitan Borough Council
- Calderdale Metropolitan Borough Council
- Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council
- Hull City Council
- Kirklees Metropolitan Borough Council
- Leeds City Council – Leeds Housing Options
- North East Lincolnshire Council
- Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council
- Sheffield City Council
- Wakefield Metropolitan District Council
Partners providing a region-wide service
- Sheffield Hallam University
- Solidaritech CIC
Partner providing ESOL resources for the region
- Migrant English Support Hub (MESH)
- Centre on Migration, Policy and Society (COMPAS)
- Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR)
- Leeds Beckett University
- University of Huddersfield
Who funds this work on refugee integration?
This work is co-funded by the European Union Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund (AMIF). The United Kingdom Responsible Authority (UKRA) manages AMIF funding in the UK.
The contents of this page and other pages related to Refugee Integration Yorkshire and Humber and to the Refugee Integration Service on this website are the sole responsibility of Migration Yorkshire, reflect Migration Yorkshire's views only and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Commission or of UKRA. Neither the European Commission nor UKRA is liable for any use that may be made of the information on the pages of this website that are about or produced by Refugee Integration Yorkshire and Humber or by the Refugee Integration Service.