Learn something new
There's a lot you can do to prepare yourself to safely support newcomers and existing communities in the region. For example, you could find out about how to talk about this situation in a helpful way on social media, learn a few words in different languages, or learn about the culture and history of different people so you can help people feel at home.
Learning resources for supporting Afghanistan
- The UK government’s resettlement programme for Afghan nationals Afghan citizens resettlement scheme - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
- UK immigration routes for Afghan nationals
- Country of origin information guide on Afghanistan - by Asylos [opens in PDF]
- Refugee Action's Good practice handbook 'UK immigration options for Afghan citizens' [opens as a Google Doc] - looks at what the Afghanistan crisis means for the status of Afghans in the UK and gives an overview of the immigration and nationality applications that Afghan citizens may be able to make.
- Resources and guidance to help frontline organisations connect, respond and adapt to the Afghan Crisis [Refugee Action]
Learning resources for supporting Ukraine
The society for intercultural education, training, and research [Sietar] are offering a free programme of cultural awareness training for those who may be assisting refugees and people seeking asylum from Ukraine in the UK. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.