Health and Wellbeing



Everything you need to know about accessing medical services in Yorkshire and Humber region.


How to use the National Health Service (NHS) - video in Cantonese  

There are some good resources in Traditional Chinese, including the “Looking After Your Health” leaflet published by the North East Hongkongers Club,  and a guide to the NHS published by Doctors of the World. 

You do not need proof of address or immigration status to register with a GP (a doctor or 'general practitioner') who is usually the first contact if you have a health problem. Find your local GP.  



Useful links: 

Accessing NHS services 

Entitlement to Free NHS treatment 

What is an NHS number? 

Moved to the UK – Immunisation leaflet in Traditional Chinese

Online health and prescription services  

What is specialist (secondary) care? 

What happens when you are referred by your GP to see a specialist? 

Guide to NHS waiting times in England 


NHS 111 (urgent medical problem phoneline) 

Injury unit services  

Accident and emergency services  

Mental Health Services  

Children and young people’s mental health services, info for parents and carers  

Mental health services 

Dental Care  

Find an NHS dentist 

Free dental care  

Understanding NHS dental charges  


Find an optician 

Maternity Care 

Ultrasound scans in pregnancy 

Registering Covid-19 vaccines    

Individuals can now book an appointment at one of a limited number of vaccination centres to record their vaccinations from outside of the UK. Learn more from the Moved to the UK Immunisation leaflet, and see how to tell the NHS about coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccinations you've had abroad.  

This service is only available to people who have had the following jabs, it does not cover other vaccines, for example Sinovac  

  • Oxford/AstraZeneca (Vaxzevria)  

  • Pfizer/BioNTech (Comirnaty)  

  • Johnson & Johnson (Janssen)  

  • Moderna (Spikevax)  

There are two vaccinations centres in Yorkshire and Humber located in Leeds and Sheffield. If you have problems booking online, you can book an appointment by ringing 119.  



Support provided by non-governmental organisations 

Hongkongers in Britain  

Hongkongers in Britain (HKB) is a community organisation based in London but working across the UK. They provide range of services, including mental peer support and offloading service via 1-2-1 chat sessions on webchat, telephone, text or in-person. 

Contact: Instant Message Mental Peer Support Line:  

Open: Tuesdays and Thursdays 10am-2pm & 6pm-10pm; and Saturdays 10am-6pm  

Language: Cantonese and English   

Barnardo’s Boloh Helpline   

The Boloh Helpline’ offers emotional support and six free sessions of psychotherapy delivered by qualified Barnardo’s therapists. These sessions can take place remotely via telephone or online at a time that works for you.  

Contact: 08001512605 or email  

Open: Mondays – Fridays 10am-8pm; and Saturdays 10-3pm  

Language: English (Cantonese interpreter can be requested)  



Other resources

Wellbeing: Looking After Myself – wellbeing videos covering a range of issues, with the aim of equipping people to start talking about and getting help with their own health and wellbeing. The videos are in Cantonese with English subtitles.

Welcome to the UK: Youth! – videos for Hong Kong teenagers on making friends, differences between UK/HK schooling and how to cope with change.


Drop-in session on health 

Accessing health services - 1 December 2021

This event explained how to access National Health Service (NHS), including registering with a GP, obtaining NHS number, finding dental services and opticians, transferring treatment to the UK, emergencies and more.


Other drop-in sessions


Back to Hong Kong Hub main page


Last updated: 12/05/2023

Contact us - Hong Kong Hub

You can contact us in English or Traditional Chinese/Cantonese.

Find out how we look after your data here:

Want to stay up to date?

Follow us on Facebook or subscribe to our mailing list. 

讚好及追蹤香港人資訊站的 Facebook 專頁,或訂閱我們的電子報。