Welcome information

Logo - Hong Kong Hub [colourful image of a cityscape]

Introductory information to help you settle in the UK and get to know Yorkshire.

How can I access services in the UK?

An online welcome guide for BNO status holders, published by the UK government and available in English and Cantonese, contains information about:

  • accessing public services, such as registering with a GP and applying for a National Insurance Number
  • understanding life in the UK – how to rent or buy a house, set up a business or apply for a school place for your children


Open University offers a number of free courses that can be accessed online. Courses cover a wide range of subjects, from English skills for life and supporting children’s mental health and well-being, to the importance of interpersonal skills and planning a better future.

Prince's Trust is a charity helping young people up to the age of 30 get into jobs, education and training, including setting up their own business. Support is free and available across the UK. For more information, see the Prince's Trust 'Opportunities near me' page, call 0800 842 842 or use the Princes Trust online chat.


National Career Advice provide free tailored information, advice and guidance to help individuals to make decisions on learning, training and work. To speak to career adviser in your area, call on 0800 100 900 or use National Career Advice's online chat.

Nurses  Are you a nurse and hoping to work in the UK or already working in the NHS and would like to connect with other nurses from Hong Kong? If so, contact Hong Kong Nursing Association UK  (hknauk.org) for information, pastoral care, and support.

Healthcare professionals  Are you a healthcare professional and looking for a job? If you're a doctor or one of the allied health professionals [for example, a physiotherapist, dietitian or podiatrist] and you'd like to practise in the UK, please contact Florence Cantle, who is an international recruitment lead for NHS England on f.cantle@nhs.net or 07783 820 861.


How to use the National Health Service [NHS] - video in Cantonese

You do not need proof of address or immigration status to register with a GP [a doctor or 'general practitioner'] who is usually the first contact if you have a health problem. Find your local GP.

Resources for accessing health services  Find information on accessing health services from our ‘drop-in’ session on 1st December 2021, including slides and a recording of the presentation.

Registering Covid-19 vaccines  Individuals can now book an appointment at one of a limited number of vaccination centres to record their vaccinations from outside of the UK. See how to tell the NHS about coronavirus [COVID-19] vaccinations you've had abroad.

This service is only available to people who have had the following jabs, it does not cover other vaccines, for example Sinovac

  • Oxford/AstraZeneca [Vaxzevria]
  • Pfizer/BioNTech [Comirnaty]
  • Johnson & Johnson [Janssen]
  • Moderna [Spikevax]

There are two vaccinations centres in Yorkshire and Humber located in Leeds and Sheffield. If you have problems booking online, you can book an appointment by ringing 119.


Housing Rights gives more information about people's rights when looking for a home, based on their immigration status. It includes legal rights renters have and how to ensure you are treated fairly when renting privately.

For more information about private housing, check out:

Other sources of information

Hongkongers in Britain is a civil society organisation established in 2020. It's an expat diaspora and community-building group, whose objectives are to provide assistance, advice and support for the Hongkonger community, enabling them to settle, integrate, and contribute towards the UK society.

Website: www.hongkongers.org.uk
Facebook: www.facebook.com/HongkongersUK
Email: hongkongersinbritain@protonmail.com

Welcome HK–Brits has lots of bilingual resources covering different aspects of life in the UK.

How can I access services in Yorkshire and Humber?

Help with finding work or setting up a business

For local help with finding jobs, writing a CV and interview practice, contact organisations providing employment support through Building Better Opportunities funding:

Leeds City Region [Leeds, Bradford, Wakefield, Calderdale, Kirklees, York, Harrogate, Selby, Skipton]

Sheffield City Region [Barnsley, Doncaster, Rotherham and Sheffield]

York, North Yorkshire and East Riding

Humber [Hull, East Riding, North Lincolnshire, North East Lincolnshire]

Support with setting up business: Ad:Venture is for people who are planning to start, or have started a new business with high growth potential, and have been trading for less than 3 years. It is open for people who live in Leeds, Bradford, Calderdale [Halifax], Kirklees [Huddersfield, Dewsbury], Wakefield, York and Harrogate, Selby and Craven [Skipton]. The Ad:Venture registration form is here.

Resources for employment  Here you can find resources from our employment ‘drop-in’ session on 17 November 2021.

English Classes

If you'd like to find English classes near you, visit the Learning English website. Some are free for everyone, while others might have tighter funding restrictions. A BNO visa holder cannot access free English classes or any courses that are funded through the Adult Education Budget. However, for those over 19, a local authority [council] can cover the cost of learning English for up £800 per person. Please contact Ewa at Migration Yorkshire for more details.

English and employment assessment in Leeds – 28 January, all day  Leeds City Council is organising an Assessment Day for Hong Kong British National Overseas new arrivals to Leeds. The event is taking place at Technorth Leeds, 9 Harrogate Road, Chapel Allerton, LS7 3NB and aims to:

  • Assess individual’s level of English and pre-book a Free English course
  • Book an appointment for individual employment support
  • Provide information about volunteering with the Council's Migrant Access Programme [MAP]

You must book a slot to attend the Assessment Day. You can book a slot for the Assessment Day here.

Getting to know Yorkshire

Yorkshire and Humber region includes:


  • East Riding of Yorkshire
  • Hull
  • North East Lincolnshire
  • North Lincolnshire

South Yorkshire:

  • Barnsley
  • Doncaster
  • Rotherham
  • Sheffield

West Yorkshire:

  • Bradford
  • Calderdale
  • Kirklees
  • Leeds
  • Wakefield

York and North Yorkshire

To find out about places worth visiting and current events in Yorkshire, visit the Welcome to Yorkshire website.

To connect with a local church participating in the welcome to Hongkongers, an initiative by Welcome Churches, visit the UKHK website.



Page last updated: 14/01/2022 12:49:26

Back to topPrint Icon Print this page

Contact us

Ewa Jamróz, Lead for the Hong Kong welcome programme:

Phone: 0113 378 9017

Phone: 0113 378 8188


Find an English class

A great way to find local classes and providers in Yorkshire and Humber!