Welcome packs typically give introductory information about the local area, and more general information about living in the UK. Some packs are designed for all new arrivals to an area, others are especially relevant to particular groups, for instance refugees, asylum seekers or migrant workers. This page contains a list of welcome packs for migrants in Yorkshire and Humber; in the rest of this section you can find information about national welcome information; templates for producing welcome packs; and archive packs.
Yorkshire and Humber welcome information for new migrants
- North East Lincolnshire
- North Lincolnshire
Asylum seekers and migrant workers advice and support services
- Available from www.barnsley.gov.uk/asylum-seekers-advice-and-support [Barnsley Council website]
- Who for Asylum seekers and migrant workers
- Content Information about support for asylum seekers, useful phone numbers and links, voluntary organisations providing opportunities to meet up with other new arrival, and
- Format Web page
- Languages English
The Barnsley Council website also has interactive maps which display information about council and other services in Barnsley, you can find these at www.barnsley.gov.uk/barnsley-maps-online
Asylum seekers: support and advice
- Available from www.calderdale.gov.uk/community/equality/asylumseekers/index.html [Calderdale Council website]
- Who for Asylum seekers
- Content Support and advice on the asylum process, education, health and useful organisations.
- Format Web pages
- Languages English
Welcome to Doncaster - new arrivals handbook
- Availability Hard copies should be available in Doncaster Central Library, the Council Customer Service Centres, NHS Health Focus, Doncaster CAB and community outlets. Electronic versions in pdf format are available from the Northern Refugee Centre website at www.nrcentre.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=368:doncasters-new-welcome-pack-for-migrants&catid=12:nrc-news&itemid=9
- Produced by members of the local community. Development of the pack was supported by Migration Impact Funding Steering Group.
- Who for Anyone new to Doncaster.
- Content Basic information and signposting to services. Includes sections on: the local council; employment and work; advice and benefits; accommodation; recycling and waste; health; education; emergency services; community support; business and enterprise support; and useful contacts.
- Format hard copy and pdf.
- Languages The pack is multilingual, with information in English, Lithuanian, Polish, Russian and Slovak.
Welcome pack for new arrivals
- Available at www.netvibes.com/mipsite1#Home_Page Under development.
- Content Links to other websites, divided into sections by subject [such as: support, legal, housing, heating and power, education] and by country.
Life Guide - a guide to life in the UK
- Available from www.nelincs.gov.uk/council/the-council-as-an-organisation/equality-and-diversity/protected-characteristics/welcome-north-east-lincolnshire/
- Produced by North East Lincolnshire Council.
- Who for Anyone new to North East Lincolnshire.
- Content A welcome guide covering issues such as: livng in the UK; housing; working in the UK; education; health and care; transport; the law and personal safety. Also includes a directory section which signposts to local services.
- Format pdf
- Languages Arabic, Bengali, Bulgarian, Cantonese, Czech, English, French, Kurdish, Latvian, Lithuanian, Mandarin, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Slovenian, Spanish and Urdu.
Welcome guide to living in North Lincolnshire
- Available from http://e-voice.org.uk/welcome/
- Who for Anyone new to North Lincolnshire.
- Content A welcome guide covering issues such as: introduction to North Lincolnshire; livng in the UK; housing; working in the UK; education; health and care; transport; the law in the UK and personal safety. Also includes a directory section which signposts to local services.
- Format website
- Languages English
Welcome to Rotherham
- Available at www.rotherham.gov.uk/info/169/translating_and_interpreting_services
- Produced by the Rotherham Partnership.
- Who for Visitors to Rotherham from abroad.
- Content Contact details for local services and groups. Introductory information on: health, employment, housing, benefits, safety, education, the law, recycling.
- Format pdf
- Languages Czech, English and Slovakian.
Welcome to Sheffield booklet
- Available from the Living and working in Sheffield page of Sheffield City Council's website.
- Produced by Sheffield City Council and its partners.
- Who for New arrivals to Sheffield from Europe, and organisations working with new arrivals.
- Content Information about living and working in Sheffield: an introduction to the city, advice on issues such as housing, health, employment and education, and information on activities happening in the city. It includes useful local telephone numbers and contact details.
- Format and languages The welcome pack is available to download as a pdf in English, Polish and Slovak. An audio version in Slovak Roma is also available from the web page, with individual mp3 files corresponding to the different sections of the welcome information, such as for information on health, education or housing.
- Produced 2011
Welcome to the Wakefield District - a guide for migrant workers
- Produced by Wakefield Together, the Wakefield District Partnership
- Who for Migrant workers living and working in the Wakefield District.
- Content Basic information, advice and contact details. Subjects include: living in the Wakefield district; education; health and wellbeing; housing; the fire service; waste disposal and recycling; working; health and safety at work; the police.
- Format Hard copy booklet
- Languages English. Polish, Czech, Slovak, Lithuanian and Latvian versions may become available.
- Contact Nasim Aslam, Senior Community Cohesion Officer on 01924 305 735 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to Yorkshire booklet - a pocket guide to life in the UK
- Available from www.migrationyorkshire.org.uk/?page=publications#welcomebooklet
- Produced by Migration Yorkshire as part of the Roma SOURCE project.
- Who for Roma migrants.
- Content Brief advice on issues such as rights and democracy, driving, health, who to contact in an emergency and getting to know your local community.
- Format Hard copy and digital [pdf format].
- Languages Czech, English, Hungarian, Polish, Slovak.
The archive copies of welcome packs page includes details of welcome packs first produced in 2003, and written for refugees in Hull, Leeds, Rotherham, Sheffield, Wakefield.
Page last updated: 24/07/2012 13:38:33
Back to top Print this page