The MIST network
What is MIST?
Migration Yorkshire is developing a new group: MIST - the Migration Statistics Network.
What is the MIST network for?
Migration statistics can be a bit of a mystery, particularly as it's rarely a core element of people’s jobs. People who don't work with statistics regularly may struggle to know where to find or how to interpret migration statistics, and data analysts don’t necessarily have a background knowledge of different migrant groups and of the difference that immigration status can make to a person’s needs.
We're setting up the MIST network because we're increasingly aware of people in Yorkshire and Humber who want to be able to access and understand migration statistics and apply it to their work. We want people in different organisations to have an easy way to discuss common difficulties and share approaches to tackling them. It could be particularly useful to link people who work in the same area, or with the same client group.
Who can join?
The MIST Network is open to anyone in Yorkshire and Humber who is interested in migration statistics.
You might be a practitioner or service manager working with a migrant client group, or work in a local information service or data observatory and want to include migrants within your area of expertise.
How it will work?
- Email alerts The MIST Network is primarily an email network. Migration Yorkshire will circulate brief email alerts as news happens.
- Sharing information MIST members can also share information or ask questions to the network by emailing Pip who will circulate the items as appropriate.
- Events Migration Yorkshire will also organise occasional events during the year to encourage practice-sharing and networking between members. These will build on the migration statistics seminars we held earlier in 2011: to see presentations from these seminars, go to using migration data locally. MIST network events will have more of an emphasis on participation by members, rather than formal presentations. We welcome ideas or suggestions on the content of the events, and would be grateful for volunteers who are willing to host an event.
How to join
If you’d like to join the MIST Network, simply email Pip Tyler and ask to be included in the mailing list. Please be aware that once you've joined the Network, your email address will be visible to other members of the Network when we send Network email alerts.
Pip Tyler, Policy and Research Manager
Phone: 0113 395 2438
- Introduction to migration statistics
- Statistics on this page you can find short reports that summarise migration trends in Yorkshire and Humber.
Page last updated: 06/09/2011 09:17:05
Back to top Print this page